A parish of the Diocese of Lexington

Welcome

St. Mary School has been a part of the Bourbon County community for 125 years. In 1888, the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth accepted St. Mary School as a community mission. There were 105 students enrolled the first year. The original school building was located on High Street with classrooms on the first floor and living quarters on the second floor for the three sisters who taught at the school. This building caught fire in March 1913 and could no longer be used as a school. In September of the same year, St. Mary School was moved to the J. Miller Ward Home located at 1121 Main Street. The house was remodeled and again arranged for classrooms on the first floor with a convent for the sisters on the second floor. In 1968, the decision was made to discontinue 7th and 8th grades due to the shortage of teaching sisters. The school continued to grow and changes were made to the building to meet the needs of the students. In July of 1977, the second floor was needed for classrooms so the sisters moved to the old rectory at 1011 Main Street. An additional building at 11th Street and Main Street was purchased in 1999 and named the Weller Building in honor of Sister Loretta Weller. Sister Loretta retired in 2001 after 34 years as teacher and principal at St. Mary School. Kindergarten was added to the curriculum in 2000, Pre-Kindergarten was added in 2002 and 7th and 8th grades were brought back in 2003 and 2004, respectively. In 2012, St. Mary School began offering Bourbon County's only Montessori classroom for 3 and 4 year olds.